Lisa from Atlanta, Georgia asks:
“Nancy, I’m looking for a hot non-alcoholic beverage for the holidays that is festive and appealing to adults. No eggnog recipes please!”
Lisa, thanks for making me think out of the box. Non-alcoholic eggnog and mulled cider are good old standbys for our non-drinking guests, but I’m thinking about something a little more fun and less traditional. How about Caliente Cocoa? The flavor combination of chocolate and chili is fabulous and gives your guests a little zing without the alcohol. The Mayans drank chili with their cocoa, why not give it a try? I’ve made this blend a few times and I always enjoy surprising people’s palettes. I think you’ll like it, too ~ cheers!
Makes 4-6 servings
• 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
• 4 cups milk (any kind–I’ve made with almond milk and it’s fantastic)
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon (or 4-6 cinnamon sticks)
• 1/4 teaspoon ground chili pepper
• 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
• whipped cream (optional)
• Pour milk into a medium saucepan and heat milk until hot, but not boiling.
• Add cocoa, sugar, stir until it’s blended well.
• Add cinnamon, chili powder, & salt. Bring to a simmer.
• Pour into mugs. Optional: top with whipped cream, sprinkle with more cinnamon, chili pepper. Garnish w/ cinnamon sticks.