Skinny Garlic Mashes Potatoes ~ Gluten/Dairy Free
- 5 cloves of garlic,unpeeled
- 2 TB olive oil
- 6 large potatoes~ Yukon Gold (my fave)
- 1 cup Chicken or Veggie Stock
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tsp sea salt or kosher salt (or to taste)
- 2 tsp chopped chives
**Please note: This can be vegan by using Vegetable Stock.
***For a creamier texture, you may add another potato and a 1/2 cup of coconut milk. If you use Trader Joe’s or So Delicious brands, it will NOT give a coconut flavor, however most canned brands do. Avoid canned coconut milk for this recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the garlic cloves in an ovenproof dish and drizzle with olive oil. Place the dish, uncovered, in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the garlic is golden brown and soft.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them in half. Place them in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender when pricked with a fork, about 30 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes. Drain.
- Bring the stock to a boil, and turn down to a simmer.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic clove to release each clove of garlic. Mash the garlic with a fork and throw the skins away.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or fork, or use a food mill. Add the roasted garlic. Slowly add the stock until the desired consistency is reached.
- Salt and pepper to taste & sprinkle with chives