- Lemon zest
- 1-1/8 cup strained lemon juice (usually takes 4-8 lemons, depending on size)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 Cups half-and-half
- Pinch or two of Kosher salt
- Put 2 cups sugar in food processor with metal blade. Wash lemons well and pat dry.
- Using sharp vegetable peeler or zester, remove yellow zest in thin strips and allow to fall directly into food processor~ about 2-3 strips–about the size of 2 band aids for lack of better description!
- Juice and strain lemons to obtain 1-1/8 cups juice. Set aside.
- Run processor until peel is finely ground, 3-4 minutes. Add juice and process to blend.
- Scrape this mixture into large, non-aluminum bowl. Add half-and-half and salt, stir to combine. Set aside for 15-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cover tightly and refrigerate until very cold. Can hold at this point for a day or two.
Note: You may also use an ice cream maker, but NOT necessary–I have a cuisinart ice cream maker and throw in the mixture for about 20 min then freeze.
To freeze: stir to recombine. Taste, adjust if needed, with more juice, salt or sugar. It should taste very zippy with undertone of sweetness. Should taste slightly too sweet for it to taste balanced when frozen. Freeze ~ Store with plastic wrap pressed into the surface-I use a glass storage container. Best to freeze at least 6 hours for scooping consistency.